- 1 What type of music is dedicated to the Virgin Mary?
- 2 Which composer from the Baroque period was a member of the St Radegonda convent in Milan Italy and wrote a large number of sacred works associated with the Virgin Mary?
- 3 Which describes Barbara Strozzi’s performing opportunities?
- 4 What are the four Marian anthems?
- 5 Who wrote Sing of Mary?
- 6 Who started the Baroque period?
- 7 What was the female role in the Baroque period?
- 8 What language is Cozzolani Magnificat?
- 9 Why was Barbara Strozzi unique?
- 10 Who are the 3 main Baroque composers?
- 11 Who taught Barbara Strozzi?
- 12 What is the Marian antiphon for Lent?
- 13 What is a Marian song?
- 14 Which Marian antiphon is used in Advent?
What type of music is dedicated to the Virgin Mary?
The Virgin Mary, Queen of the Vespers Bach is an undisputed master of sacred choral music and his Magnificat marks an evolution of the genre.
Which composer from the Baroque period was a member of the St Radegonda convent in Milan Italy and wrote a large number of sacred works associated with the Virgin Mary?
1676–1678) Italian composer Chiara Margarita Cozzolani was the most prominent and prolific of about a dozen nuns who published their own music in the 17th century. Born into a well-to-do family, Cozzolani entered the monastery at St. Radegonda in Milan in her teens, taking her vows in 1620.
Which describes Barbara Strozzi’s performing opportunities?
Which describes Barbara Strozzi’s performing opportunities? She performed in the exclusive male academies of Venice.
What are the four Marian anthems?
The four Marian antiphons are long hymns, not true antiphons but independent compositions especially noted for their beauty: the “Salve Regina” (“Hail, Holy Queen”), “Ave Regina caelorum” (“Hail, Queen of Heaven”), “Regina caeli, laetare” (“Queen of Heaven, Rejoice”), and “Alma Redemptoris Mater” (“Kindly Mother of the
Who wrote Sing of Mary?
This Marian hymn was created by English-born Canadian Anglican priest Roland F Palmer SSJE (1891-1985).
Who started the Baroque period?
The Baroque period refers to an era that started around 1600 and ended around 1750, and included composers like Bach, Vivaldi and Handel, who pioneered new styles like the concerto and the sonata.
What was the female role in the Baroque period?
Throughout the Baroque period, and much of the world’s artistic history, women have been portrayed as either saints or sinners, pictures of purity or wicked temptresses. If not soft and docile, women were depicted as whores, adulteresses and tricksters, wicked temptations to good men.
What language is Cozzolani Magnificat?
The group derives its name from the first word of the Latin translation of the Canticle of Mary in the Gospel of Luke (Luke 1:46-55), Magnificat anima mea, “My soul magnifies the Lord”, which is sung during the Roman Catholic evening prayer or vespers service.
Why was Barbara Strozzi unique?
Strozzi was said to be “the most prolific composer – man or woman – of printed secular vocal music in Venice in the middle of the [17th] century.” Her output is also unique in that it only contains secular vocal music, with the exception of one volume of sacred songs.
Who are the 3 main Baroque composers?
- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
- Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741)
- George Frideric Handel (1685-1759)
- Henry Purcell (1659-95)
- Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643)
- Heinrich Schütz (1585-1672)
- Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757)
- Jean-Philippe Rameau (1683-1764)
Who taught Barbara Strozzi?
Her primary teacher was Francesco Cavalli. She published her first volume of songs (a book of madrigals) in 1644. She went on to publish another seven sets of vocal pieces, though one of these sets has been lost to time.
What is the Marian antiphon for Lent?
The liturgical calendar. Exact dates (especially for Lent and Easter) vary by year. The four Marian antiphons are traditional hymns prayed or sung before bed, a sort of goodnight to the Blessed Mother. There’s a different one for each season.
What is a Marian song?
Marian hymns are Christian songs focused on Mary, mother of Jesus. They are used in both devotional and liturgical services, particularly by the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran churches. They are often used in the month of May devotions. Some have also been adopted as Christmas hymns.
Which Marian antiphon is used in Advent?
The best known and perhaps most frequently sung antiphon is the Salve Regina. Reference was made to the hymn in the introduction above. It is prescribed from Trinity Sunday (after the Easter season) to the eve of the first Advent Sunday.